Posting comments is becoming more and more popular. You can do it on blogs, on photo sharing sites, on video sharing sites, and even on “non-social media” platforms. When you do it right, leaving your comments will help to:
- drive free traffic to your website
- make you more noticeable
It’s not rocket science. Here’s how you can do it:
- Set up a free account with Gravatar (Globally Recognized Avatar). Gravatar allows associating any of your emails with your picture. When you leave your comment with your registered email on Gravatar supported platforms, your picture will automatically be displayed. The more you put your face out there, the better is your personal branding.
- Find good blogs to leave your comments. For me, good places are:
- blogs from experts. You can be noticed and build your reputation. However, you would need to bring your A game.
- do follow blogs. Do follow blogs are blogs where the link to your website will count in Google’s eyes. Here is a search on “do follow list” on Google.
- Chose a name. Sometimes, it will be appropriate to put your full name; sometimes it will be appropriate to put a keyword phrase relating to your website. I prefer to put my full name because the keyword phrase makes your comment look like a spam.
- Add the url of your website. You can either point to the homepage or even better to a page developing similar or complementary idea.
- Leave meaningful comments. It seems obvious but it’s not easy to do. Post comments that will be useful and interesting. If you are an expert in your field or would like to be recognized as an expert, it’s your chance to show what you got. Be smart and don’t post comments that look and smell like spam.
- Repeat. The more you comments the more traffic you will drive and the more noticeable you will be.
What about you start practicing by commenting on this post? What do you have to say?